Professor of Psychiatry and Director of the laboratory of Psychopharmacology at the "Dipartimento di Psichiatria, Neurobiologia, Farmacologia e Biotecnologie", University of Pisa
University attended with dates
- Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University of Pisa, Italy, from November 1975 to July 1981;
- Postgraduation Specialty School of Psychiatry, from November 1981 to July 1985.
- Postgraduation Specialty School of Analytical Biochemistry, from November 1987 to November 1990.
1- Degree in Medicine and Surgery, obtained with honours, July 28, 1981;
2- Specialty in Psychiatry, obtained with honours, July 8, 1985.
3- Specialty in Applied Biochemistry, obtained with honours, November 22, 1990.
Scholarships, fellowships, and other academic distinctions
1- Qualification for the "Scuola Normale Superiore" of Pisa in the academic year 1981 and 1982.
2- Fellowship of the norvegian goverment from March 1983 to June 1983 for a training course in Neurochemistry at the Neurochemical laboratory of the University of Oslo (Norway)
3- Grant from the European Science Foundation to attend the 1987 winter School in Zuoz (Switzerland)
4- Travel Grant from the International Society for Neurochemistry to attend the 12th ISN meeting in Algarve (Portugal) in april 1989
5- Grant from the European Science Foundation to attend the 1989 autumn School in Castelvecchio Pascoli (Italy)
6- Winner of the National Prize for a study on "Serotonin and Hypertension"
7- One year-long Grant from the Italian Research Council for a research project on the biology of depression in the years1989, 1990, 1991, and 1992
8- Ole Raefelsen Award for Psychiatry, September 1990
9- European College of Neuropharmacology Award, October 1991.
10- Three years-long Grant from the Italian Research Council for a research project on the neurobiology of aging, from the year 1991 to the year 1995.
11- One year-long Grant from the Ministry of the University and Scientific Reaearch for a project on neurobiology of bipolar disorders in the years 1991, 1992, 1993
12- three year-long Grant from the Ministry of the University and Scientific Research for a project on neurobiology of aging in the years 1995-1998
13- Different grants from Ministry of the University and Scientific Reaearc and the Italian Research Council on the pharmacology of the 5-HT transporter, the 5-HT1A receptors and their intracellular transduction processes from the year 1991 up-to now.
S.I.P. (Italian Society for Psychiatry), S.I.N.S. (Italian Society for Neuroscience), SIPNI (Italian Society for Psychoneuroimmunology), E.N.A. (European Neuroscience Association), ECNP (European College of Neuropharmacology), I.S.N. (International Society for Neurochemistry), ISPN (International Society for Psychoendocrinology), Serotonin Club, APE (European Association of Psychiatry), Society for Biological Psychiatry, New York Academy of Sciences, CINP. SOPSI
Dr. Marazziti is member of the WPA section for OCD, member of the International Council for OCD, secretary of the Italian Society of Psychiatry and of the Italian Group for OCD and past member of the executive committee of the ECNP and current member of the award committee of the CINP.
She is in the editorial board of the following journals: “European Neuropsychopharmacology”, "Fundamental and Clinical Pharmacology", "CNS Spectrums".
Research projects in progress
- Peripheral serotonergic and dopaminergic markers in healthy subjects and neuropsychiatric patients: correlations with personality traits, clinical status and pharmacological response;
- In situ hybridization of different neuroreceptors in human brain from healthy subjects and psychiatric patients (brain provided by the US NAMI) and in peripheral cells;
- Biochemical characterization of an endogenous ligand (B.B.I.A.) acting on benzodiazepine central receptor;
- Molecular biology of some neuroreceptors in mood disorders;
- Second messengers coupled to serotonin transporter and serotonergic receptors
Over 350 publications and 7 monographs, mainly in international journals, and a best seller entitled "'The nature of love " (Rizzoli, Milan, 2002).
Dr. Donatella Marazziti
Dipartimento di Psichiatria, Neurobiologia, Farmacologia e Biotecnologie",
University of Pisa
Via Roma 67 -
Mobile: +39 360 596963